Sunday, September 20, 2026

Story: Biometrics don't lie. Part 30.

by Melissa

Part 30. The impostor's lifeline.

The West Loggia was a cathedral of light and polished stone, its vaulted gothic arches framing a sweeping view of Elmwood's pristine manicured lawns. Today, however, it smelled not of old ivy and parchment, but of beeswax, expensive lilies, and the distinct, metallic tang of raw privilege.

Preparations for the Autumn Festival were reaching a fever pitch. Senior students in immaculate tailored blazers flitted between mahogany screens and velvet-draped alcoves, finalizing displays for the visiting regents, ministry delegates, and wealthy alumni.

Then came the sound. Clink-shush. Clink-shush.

The rhythmic, scraping beat of my iron ankle chain against the marble floor cut through the polite murmurs like a glass rod snapping in two.

Walking behind Olivia, my bare soles absorbing the biting chill of the stone, I felt every eye in the corridor pivot toward us. I was a walking study in absolute contrast: clad in the high-contrast ceremonial uniform of midnight silk and starched white lace, my throat bound in rigid black saddle leather with the brass "DELINQUENT" tag glinting under the chandelier light, and my red hair - chopped into a jagged, uneven bob - framing my face in a crude, choppy fringe.

Gasping whispers rippled through a group of junior heiresses arranging orchids nearby.

"Is that... the community service girl?"

"Look at her hair... it looks like it was hacked off in a cellar."

"And the iron on her feet... Mrs. Williams wasn't joking about the corrective tier."

I didn't flinch. I kept my spine locked in the humble curve beaten into my back, my chin dropped low enough that my eyes remained fixed strictly on the hem of Olivia's tartan skirt. Beneath the choppy fringe dangling across my forehead, my mind was icy and weightless. Let them stare. Let them digest the visual spectacle. They were looking at a fallen socialite; I was feeling the cool air against my bare neck, unburdened by the vanity of long hair.

"Ah, the centerpiece has arrived," a smooth, authoritative voice echoed from the central alcove.

Mrs. Williams stood beside a high-backed leather massage couch, flanked by three older women in tailored silk suits - members of the Board of Regents. Among them was Lady Crowley, a prominent alumna whose family held significant sway over the academy's endowment.

Mrs. Williams extended a manicured hand toward me, though her sharp gray eyes didn't meet mine. "As you can see, Lady Crowley, we have spared no effort in preparing the physical and semiotic framework for 'The Philosopher's Rest'."

Lady Crowley stepped forward, her leather pumps clicking softly. She raised a gold-framed lorgnette to her eyes, inspecting me from my ragged fringe down to my bare, unwashed toes curled against the cold stone.

"The contrast is... striking, Headmistress," Lady Crowley remarked, a slow, appreciative smile curving her lips. "The ceremonial silk combined with the judicial iron... it leaves no ambiguity regarding her status. But can a delinquent of her background truly deliver the level of physiological release promised in the festival prospectus?"

"Demonstrate," Mrs. Williams commanded softly, looking down at the space beside her shoes. "Down, maid."

I didn't utter a word. I sank instantly to my knees, the short chain between my ankle cuffs snapping taut with a sharp *clank*. The cold marble bit into my skin, but I remained perfectly still, hands folded submissively over my crisp lace apron.

"Take the bolster position, girl," Mrs. Williams ordered. "Lady Crowley will test the entry protocol."

Lady Crowley gracefully reclined on the leather couch, extending her right leg. "My arches have been agonizing after the committee walk," she murmured, a hint of patronizing condescension in her tone. "Let us see this 'Divine Touch.'"

I shifted forward on my knees, my iron chains scraping against the floorboards. I warmed a few drops of bitter almond oil between my palms, lifted Lady Crowley's heel into my lap, and applied my thumbs to the plantar fascia. I didn't just rub; I executed a precise, deep-tissue friction, isolating the calcaneal insertion and leaning the weight of my shoulders into the stroke. 

My thumbs had barely settled into the precise groove of her plantar fascia when Lady Crowley's entire frame underwent a violent, tectonic shift. A sharp, audible gasp broke from her lips, cutting abruptly through the polite murmurs of the West Loggia. Her spine, which had been rigidly poised with aristocratic dignity against the high-backed leather, instantly collapsed. Her shoulders melted into the cushions, her head tilting backward as her chin rose toward the vaulted ceiling, and her eyelids fluttered shut in sheer, unadulterated surrender.

The tension that had locked her foot for hours under the strain of committee walks and endless handshaking dissolved like salt in warm water beneath the mechanical precision of my hands. But as the physical knots unraveled, something far deeper and more insidious began to unspool within her nervous system.

With every millimeter my knuckles pressed deeper into the arch of her foot, a delicate shiver rippled down Lady Crowley's spine. The professional, imperious facade of the Board Regent began to fragment, replaced by a heavy, breathless vulnerability. Her breathing hitched, turning shallow and ragged as a low, involuntary moan vibrated in the back of her throat - a sound entirely unsuited for the hallowed, conservative halls of Elmwood Academy.

I kept my eyes fixed strictly on the floor, my face a mask of submissive stone, but my fingertips mapped the startling transformation in real-time. Beneath my thumbs, the skin of her foot grew feverish. The steady, controlled thrum of her pulse spiked, throbbing furiously against my palms as my technique bypassed mere physical therapy and tapped directly into the raw, unguarded nerves of her body.

Lady Crowley's fingers curled instinctively into the rich leather armrests of the couch, her knuckles turning white as she fought for a grip on her fading composure. Every undulating friction stroke I delivered sent an electric arc shooting upward through her ankles, past her knees, and straight to her core. Her hips arched involuntarily against the cushions, seeking a friction she could not name, her body responding to the absolute power dynamic of the moment - the realization that her pleasure was entirely dependent on the skill of a kneeling, collared delinquent.

The air in the loggia grew thick, heavy with the sharp, sweet tang of her mounting arousal. The quiet, collected alumna who had moments before raised a lorgnette in critical judgment was now completely undone, her mouth parting in a silent, gasping O as the overwhelming wave crested.

A final, long-drawn shudder locked every muscle in Lady Crowley's body. Her toes curled tightly around my thumbs, trapping my hands in a desperate, helpless grip as a blinding, quiet climax crashed over her. Her entire frame went rigid for a split second, then slackened completely into a puddle of dazed, post-ecstatic ruin on the leather.

As the lingering tremors slowly subsided, leaving her chest heaving and her face flushed with a deep, humiliating crimson, Lady Crowley slowly let her head loll to the side. Her eyes flickered open, heavy and glazed, staring down at my bowed head with a mix of utter disbelief and profound, helpless reverence.

"Good heavens..." Lady Crowley breathed, her voice heavy with dazed satisfaction. "It's... extraordinary. It feels as though the nerve endings themselves are being unravelled."

"And yet," Mrs. Williams chimed in smoothly, addressing the surrounding regents as if delivering a lecture over an operational machine, "it is not an artistic talent, nor a gift of character. What you are experiencing, Lady Crowley, is the absolute optimization of domestic labour through rigorous institutional discipline. Stripped of vanity, intellect, and social pretension, the delinquent's energy is entirely redirected into absolute service."

Kneeling on the hard stone, my thumbs rhythmically working the regent's sole, a familiar, dangerous heat flared low in my abdomen. The public humiliation, the cold floor, the heavy leather collar around my throat, and the sight of these powerful women treating my body as an instrument of their comfort threatened to trigger that same traitorous, involuntary thrum I had fought in the salon.'

'No,' I told myself, locking my jaw until my molars ached. 'Focus.'

I forced the heat down, smothering it beneath the cold, hard logic of the fox. Every shudder of relief from Lady Crowley, every heavy sigh that escaped her lips, wasn't a triumph for Elmwood - it was data. As my knuckles dug into her pressure points, I was learning the exact architecture of her physical vulnerability. I was discovering how easily these arrogant rulers surrendered their defenses the moment their bodies were touched with skill.

From the upper gallery of the loggia, high above the vaulted arches, a figure leaned against the stone balustrade.

It was Miss Jones - the impostor - wearing her crisp senior blazer and starched blouse. She was holding a leather folder, supposedly on her way to a festival briefing, but her gaze was pinned entirely on the spectacle below.

She watched me kneeling in my black silk and iron, my choppy red hair hanging over my eyes as I coaxed helpless gasps from one of the most powerful women in the region. For a fraction of a second, as I shifted my weight to take Lady Crowley's other foot, my eyes flicked upward and met hers across the distance.

The impostor's face remained entirely unfathomable, a mask of unreadable stillness that gave away none of her thoughts as she stared down at me.

"Sufficient," Mrs. Williams declared, interrupting the demonstration.

Lady Crowley sat up slowly, looking dazed and flushed, her eyes fixated on me with a newfound, almost uneasy respect. "Unbelievable," she whispered. "I must have three consecutive slots tomorrow."

"The standard schedule is full, Lady Crowley," Mrs. Williams replied smoothly, "but I can offer you two consecutive slots tomorrow, after hours, when the general exhibition concludes."

"Acceptable," Lady Crowley agreed, adjusting her jacket.

Mrs. Williams stepped closer to my kneeling form, reaching down to clip a short brass lead from the base of the massage couch to the central ring of my leather collar. The lock clicked home. I was now literally tethered to the booth floor.

"You will remain here for the final staging inspection, maid," Mrs. Williams commanded, her voice cold and absolute. "Tomorrow at eight o'clock, the gates open. Then, after the opening ceremony, you will give our guests the full, uninterrupted demonstration of Elmwood's order."

"Yes, Ma'am," I whispered into the carpet, dropping my forehead all the way to the cold stone in a complete, unwavering bow.

The heavy footsteps of the regents and Mrs. Williams faded down the vaulted corridor, leaving behind only the ambient murmur of the festival workers and the faint scent of lilies.

Bound to the brass fixture, the physical toll of the demonstration began to settle into my frame. My shoulders ached from leaning into the deep friction strokes, and the iron cuffs dug a dull, continuous throbbing ache into my bruised ankles. Yet, despite the exhaustion, my mind remained hyper-alert, ticking over the architecture of the room.

A few moments later, the light footfalls of leather shoes echoed softly against the stone. I kept my head bowed, expecting the return of Mrs. Williams or Olivia, but instead, a familiar, quiet voice broke the silence.

"They really went too far this time," the impostor murmured.

I lifted my head slightly, keeping my gaze lowered submissively as the impostor stepped into my line of sight, her polished Mary Janes pausing right beside my bare, chained feet. She was entirely alone now, the leather folder clutched loosely in her hands.

"I am sorry for what they did to your hair," the impostor said, her voice carrying an unexpected ring of genuine remorse. "It was beautiful. And this... this ridiculous anti-redhead bigotry Mrs. Williams spouts is complete nonsense. It has no scientific basis; it's just an excuse for institutional sadism."

I stayed silent, my heart skipping a beat as I processed her words. The impostor crouched down slightly, bringing herself closer to my eye level, though I kept my gaze fixed downward in accordance with my role.

"Listen to me carefully," she whispered, leaning in so the sound wouldn't carry beyond the alcove. "You need to take advantage of the festival's opening ceremony to flee tomorrow morning. I know the main biometric doors won't normally open for you, but there's a loophole: if there is a fire alarm triggered, the building's safety overrides will unlock automatically without checking individual biometric data. With thousands of guests streaming through the corridors and panicking, the staff won't be able to track everybody. It might give you a narrow window to slip out into the confusion."

Before I could parse the sheer audacity of her plan or utter a single word in response, the impostor stood up straight, smoothing the front of her senior blazer.

"Make sure you are ready when the fire alarm goes off in the middle of the opening ceremony," she added quietly, turning on her heel. "Because once Mrs. Williams' schedule for you begins tomorrow, you will be chained here in position and won't get another chance. And maybe, warn your friends so they can help you to leave quickly and find you a hideout."

Her footsteps faded away down the vaulted gallery, the deliberate, rhythmic crunch of her leather soles retreating into utter silence and leaving me tethered to the brass floor fixture, the cold iron biting into my ankles. The silence of the West Loggia rushed back in, heavy and suffocating, broken only by the distant, muffled hum of festival preparations echoing through the gothic corridors.

I remained on my knees, my forehead pressed against the cool marble, while the unyielding weight of the leather collar chafed against my neck and the heavy iron cuffs bit sharply into my skin, my mind racing in a frantic, disjointed circle.

An escape. A fire alarm. A narrow window of panic and confusion to slip past the biometric locks and vanish into the autumn air. It sounded like the plot of one of the old sci-fi survival novels I used to devour by starlight, a clean, cinematic break from a nightmare.

Yet, as the initial shock of the impostor's proposition began to settle, a cold wave of doubt washed over me, chilling me far more effectively than the bare stone floor.

I closed my eyes, feeling the rigid bite of the metal floor chain against my ankles as I breathed in the scent of beeswax and old dust. A bitter internal debate tore at my resolve. Was I really supposed to throw away everything and run? A heavy, crushing weight settled over my chest as I recalled the exact words of the people who knew the system better than I did.

Both Maria - loyal, long-suffering Maria, who had been unfairly accused of theft because of my cowardice - and Miss Delgado, the sharp-eyed lawyer who had mapped out the brutal legal landscape of my predicament, had given me the exact same counsel. Submit. Obey. Play their game. They had warned me that fighting back directly, that kicking against the unyielding machinery of Elmwood and the State, would only ensure my complete and permanent destruction.

If I fled into the chaotic haze of the festival tomorrow, what would I actually be achieving? The moment I tore myself away, the moment I broke those chains or slipped past the automated doors, I would instantly transform from a community service girl serving a judicial sentence into a criminal fugitive. A runaway. Even if the impostor expected me to find a hideout, where would I actually go? Without identity chips, credits, or legal papers in a world choked by digital surveillance, every transit hub, street corner, and public terminal would flag me within hours. The full, terrifying weight of the legal system - backed by the infinite resources of the Board of Regents, the police, and Mrs. Williams's relentless vindictiveness - would hunt me down across the globe. And if caught, there would be no more sub-basement sanctuary, no more wearing the uniform as a clever disguise for the fox. I would go straight to a real, adult maximum-security prison. My dreams of piloting a craft through the vacuum of space, of decoding the mysteries of the cosmos, would be locked behind iron bars, replaced by a life behind gray wire and concrete.

Furthermore, if I ran, what happened to Maria? My entire penance - the very framework of my endurance - was built upon the sacred duty of earning her forgiveness by paying down my debt through absolute, uncomplaining service. If I abandoned my post now, I would be turning my back on her sacrifice, proving the Dean and Mrs. Williams right all along. I would be demonstrating that I was, indeed, a coward who couldn't handle the fire.

And yet, looking down at the cold iron shackles binding my feet and the brass asset tag glinting against my leather collar, a cynical, biting voice whispered from the dark corners of my mind. Was enduring this endless, theatrical degradation actually saving me, or was I simply walking deeper into a slaughterhouse designed by a sociopath? The impostor had risked a great deal to hand me this lifeline. Why would she do that if survival here was even remotely possible?

I knelt in the quiet loggia, torn between the instinctual, desperate urge for freedom and the paralyzing fear of the consequences. The fire alarm was a weapon sitting right there in the hallway, waiting for someone brave enough - or desperate enough - to pull the trigger.

The silence pressed down on me like a physical weight. I didn't know what to do. As the shadows lengthened across the polished marble, casting long, barred patterns across the floor, the deep, resonant toll of the academy's bronze vesper bells reverberated through the gothic arches. Outside, the last amber rays of sunlight bled from the sky, leaving the manicured lawns to steep in the gathering purple dusk. I realized the most terrifying truth of all: tomorrow morning, when the festival gates opened and the first regents walked through the doors, the choice would no longer be mine to make. The machine would start moving, and I would either have to jump into the chaos or let myself be crushed by the gears.

Yet, as panic threatened to paralyze my thoughts entirely, a thin thread of operational logic snapped into place.

I couldn't make this decision alone, and I couldn't trust the impostor's motives blindly. But I wasn't entirely cut off from the outside world. I had a legal lifeline.

Miss Delgado was my attorney, legally bound to represent my interests and authorized to communicate with me regarding my case. If I acted quickly, before Mrs. Williams's lock-in schedule took effect, I could send a message through the internal hierarchy. Surely, if I asked Mrs. Henderson - the head maid, who still maintained a shred of professional protocol - to pass a message to Agnès, Agnès could find a way to contact Miss Delgado and inform her that I urgently needed to speak with my counsel. As my lawyer, Miss Delgado would have the legal right to demand a phone consultation with her client, even under Elmwood's draconian rules.

It was a long shot, a desperate procedural maneuver through a needle's eye, but it was better than flying blind into an impossible choice.

I lifted my forehead from the cold marble, my jaw setting with renewed resolve as I stared into the darkening arches of the loggia. Before tomorrow's dawn set the machine in motion, I needed to talk to my lawyer.

With the final echoes of the vesper bells still vibrating in the cold air, heavy footfalls announced the return of the inspection detail.

Mrs. Williams strode back into the West Loggia, flanked this time by two senior prefects carrying clipboard checklists and a maintenance technician holding a portable override console. The Headmistress's sharp gray eyes swept over my kneeling form, checking every detail - from the tautness of the short chain linking my ankle cuffs to the exact placement of my hands over my lace apron.

"Staging perimeter secure," one of the prefects reported crisply, checking off a line on her digital slate. "Tether lock verified. The acoustic dampening and line-of-sight angles for 'The Philosopher's Rest' meet all prospectus guidelines."

Mrs. Williams offered a tight, glacial nod of approval. She stepped forward, her leather heel clicking sharply against the stone, and looked down at me as if I were a piece of well-oiled furniture rather than a living human being.

"Adequate," Mrs. Williams pronounced. "The fixture holds. Release her from the floor anchor, Olivia; she is not to remain tethered here overnight, or the leather will retain an undesirable crease before the morning exhibition."

Olivia stepped out from the shadows, unlocking the brass lead from the central ring of my collar with a cold, practiced flick of her key. The sudden release of tension made my shoulders ache, but I remained frozen in my submissive posture.

"Up, maid," Mrs. Williams commanded.

I rose slowly on my stiff, aching knees, the iron ankle chains clinking against the marble.

Two female security guards moved in to grab my arms, but before they could haul me away, a sharp, authoritative voice cut across the stone floor.

"That won't be necessary, officers," Mrs. Henderson said, stepping forward out of the twilight shadows with an air of unyielding domestic command.

The head maid didn't wait for permission. She placed a firm, gloved hand directly onto the shoulder of the lead guard, her posture radiating decades of undisputed household seniority that even the security staff instinctively respected. Without a word of argument, the guards backed off, releasing their grip. Mrs. Henderson stepped smoothly into the space between us, taking direct custody of the transfer ledger and signing her name with a sharp, deliberate stroke.

She turned to me, her jaw set, and escorted me out of the West Loggia herself. My bare soles, chilled and bruised from the stone, tapped a steady rhythm against the long walk back through the labyrinthine corridors until we reached the dim, functional quiet of the lower service quarters.

The head maid’s face remained a mask of stern, professional discipline, but as we reached the sub-basement threshold and the heavy iron door of my cell clicked shut, locking automatically, her expression cracked. She turned to me, her voice uncharacteristically low and burning with indignation.

"The things they are doing to you... it’s an absolute disgrace to this house. Elmwood used to have standards, not just sadism."

My heart hammered against my ribs. This was my opening.

"Mrs. Henderson," I whispered, stepping forward until the chain on my ankles barely allowed it. "Please. You have to help me. I need you to pass a message to Agnès. Tell her... tell her I urgently need to be contacted by my lawyer, Miss Delgado, before the festival opens tomorrow morning."

The head maid stared at me, weighing the immense risk of subverting the administration's orders. But the sight of the iron and the memory of what she had witnessed in the loggia tipped the scale. Without consulting either the Dean or Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Henderson gave a single, sharp nod of agreement. "Wait here," she muttered, slipping out into the corridor.

I sat on the edge of the narrow cot, the cold iron biting into my ankles, watching the shadows stretch across the concrete floor. Minutes bled into an eternity.

Then, the heavy door unlatched once more.

Mrs. Henderson stepped back inside, holding out a secure, encrypted terminal handset. She didn't say a word, just pressed it into my shaking hands, gave my shoulder a brief, supportive squeeze, and slipped back out, locking the door firmly behind her to grant me absolute privacy.

Taking one deep, stabilizing breath to steady my racing pulse, I brought the device up as the screen illuminated my face. On the line was Miss Delgado.

"Melissa?" the lawyer's voice came through the speaker, tight, controlled, and instantly professional, though laced with an unmistakable tremor of raw shock. "Good grief, girl. Agnès reached me just in time. I've just reviewed the updated sub-basement compliance logs and the festival prospectus. I am... frankly horrified by the way you are being treated. Shackling you, parading you barefoot, and forcing you to perform degrading physical labor for the Board of Regents is a blatant violation of your judicial sentence's boundaries."

"They're treating me like an animal, Miss Delgado," I breathed, the walls of the small room feeling as though they were closing in. "The impostor came to me... she told me the fire alarm will go off tomorrow during the opening ceremony and advised me to run. She said it's my only chance to escape."

"Listen to me very carefully, Melissa," Miss Delgado interrupted, her tone sharp and absolute, cutting through my panic. "Do not flee. If you run tomorrow, you play directly into their hands. You become a fugitive, and the full weight of the State will crush you permanently. Stay where you are."

A cold knot formed in my stomach. "Then what do I do?"

"I can't stop the festival entirely," Miss Delgado said, her voice turning fierce with legal resolve. "But listen to this - the academy's administration committed a fatal tactical error. In their arrogance, they actually published the full, detailed itinerary and promotional prospectus of 'The Philosopher's Rest' directly onto the public festival website, openly boasting about your shackles, your leather collar, and your public degradation as part of their official curriculum."

"They advertised it?" I breathed, stunned.

"Openly, for every alumnus, regent, and State official to see," Miss Delgado confirmed, a sharp edge of triumph in her voice. "They were so blinded by their own institutional hubris that they documented their own human rights violations in writing. That digital footprint is the smoking gun I needed. It gives me indisputable, public proof of corporate and judicial overreach."

"And because of that," Miss Delgado continued, "I am drafting an emergency injunction right now. I believe I can obtain a court order before the end of the festival against at least part of the way you are being treated."

She paused, letting the weight of her words settle over the static of the line.

"Hold on just a little longer, Melissa. Let me fight them with the law."

The call clicked dead, leaving the screen dark in my hands. I sat in the silent, shadowed room, the cold iron still heavy on my limbs, but for the first time all day, the crushing darkness felt like something I could push back against.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Readers,

    Part 30 of my story is now available here! What do you think might happen next? Should redhead Melissa follow the impostor's advice and run away during the opening ceremony or should she trust her lawyer and stay? Do not hesitate to share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below!

    your humble maid Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So yet another great chapter. This long post I blame the fact great chapter.

      From reader's perspective I while there is no specific cause for it I felt bit worried whatever the festival is going to be worth the built it up. From a writing perspective it building up for something feels like huge gamble. Managing readers expectations can always be an issue, but this fundametally self-inflicted. So good luck.

      Now for the imposter. I think this has made her more sympatic. So far she has (except for the intial homework) kept her concerns private. I'm not one to decry this behaviour too much if only because of how common it is for people to be apathic towards suffering of others, but it certainly not brave. Now she told so openly to the victim herself and at least provide her with way to escape that is something not everbody is willing to do.

      Now for Mrs. Henderson I was really fascinted by the little sentence above past standars since it both fits her charactery yet it is fascinatingly and terribly ambigious. She is character that I think has helped me to enjoy the story since she is does treated Melissa with the kind of fair strictness I like. She is not a mistress, but it does suit a housekeeper as well. Also, character that is both an autority and still a servant herself is intersting.

      Well a head maid technically, but I tend to stick to this title for head of domestic staff particularly with the Mrs. honoric. Supposedly this honorific was associated with the role regardless of maritual status.

      Anyway back to her character. At first I thought she is strict because she wants to protect the maids something worse that strict yet fair treatment.. She knew that they are treated harshly by their betters so she was trying to make sure the maids make no mistakes that would result in more harshness and that they are used severe treatment.

      Now that may be true to same extent, but time want it become clear to me she is entirely genuine. As for the ambiguity one has to ask if it is true. Did school used to be different ? Or is she just deluded servant that is far too consumed by her servitude to realise she is wrong ? The first is appealing, but the second is also intersting for the character.

      As for the legal evidence. Doing something so stupid is darkly funny, but I buy it people can be stupid and arrogant. I feel like when writing about law may actually be more beliveble that come up with some weird complex trick that likely makes no actual sense.

      It is also interesting that the story has opendly declared that at least some part of what is happening to Melissa is illegal. Particularly since so far it seemed it was legal if archaic and harsh.

      A story's relationship to law varies. In crime genere the whole point is that something illegal has happend. In some stories particularly a dystopia making somethng terrible legal may be the whole premise as well. Then you have some stories where you just have to pretend it is all legal and honestly that is fine.

      I have in fact sort of assumed that this story belongs to the last catogory. In maid genere it is fairly common. Plenty of stories feature crazy contracts and archaic practices like corporeal punishment or intentudre.

      In historical settings is ambigious. Sometimes the harshness of the treatment bad in realistic. Or the author may at least belive that usig say corporeal punishment was real and to be fair at least in some places and eras it actually was. Some it may be unclear what is simply author fantasy or what is something that actually believe. I mean have done fairly serious reaserch that essential boils down to "how historically (in)accurate is to spank a maid", but I dont necessarily expect every one to do that.

      Where it is obvious thought are stories set in present day or in this case future. You have stories in present day feature obviously illegal things like corporeal punishment, but the story does not really adress that. Again I think is fine it fiction and I actually sort of like the contracts between a modern setting and archaic treatment of maids.

      Delete
    2. EDIT:Continued. It seems apperently I write such longs comments it is too much for blogger.
      This story hower seems have other ideas. I think it is good idea people do illegal things all the time and it may be more clever than just pretend it is all fine.

      And of course the chapter ends on cliffhander. I will say I did not expect this one sort of assuming she is just be happy for chance to escape. It seems that our poor protagonist is so beaten down (quite literally in this case) that she needs somone to tell her how to save herself.


      I will say that I would have expect her to conclude that best penance would be directly to the person she wronged that is Maria (usuallly I'm not into role switching prefering sttic roles, but in this case it makes sense), but it she seems undecided here. She also hower seems to be at least somewhat aware that staying here is self-destructive even if she wishes to repent. That and her reluctuance is partly becuase she does not trust imposters motives which is understendable and makes her seem smart.

      Delete
  2. I cannot stress how incredible the roller coaster of emotions I've had reading this has been. I went from invested to hating it to being obsessed. Its to the point where I'm checking almost every day for the next installment. I can't wait to see how it ends. As for red head Melissa she can't run, not now. Just a little longer, play the game and don't let them break you. I haven't been this obsessed with a written work since my friends fantasy novel. Great work, truly can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well .. I've been waiting for long time.. now I'm more thrilled. I hope you post this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean post the next chapter soon!!

      I think Melissa is gonna stay. . for sure

      Delete
  4. If Mrs. Williams gets taken down by a court injunction based on her own promotional prospectus, it will be the most poetic justice ever. Please let Miss Delgado win this! But wait... Lady Crowley just booked two consecutive slots. If Melissa gets legally pulled out of this, who is massaging those feet? I am begging the author to make the impostor (who after all was the one who taught foot massage to Melissa) be forced to step in and suffer through kneading those snobby feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, just asking, do you plan on writing a new series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for asking. I am definitely considering writing a new series, but I want to finish my current story first because I really don't want to leave it unfinished. The good news is that 'Biometrics Don't lie' is slowly coming closer to its conclusion, so stay tuned!

      your humble maid Melissa

      Delete
    2. :) thanks for replying

      Delete
    3. I would rather this series be finished first. There are far too many unfinished stories on net. That being said I do agree it woud be nice if this was not the last one.

      Delete